General d'Armee


Historicon 2019: To Catch a King - A Retrospective

 I was more than a little nervous with my game "To Catch A King" at Historicon this year for a number of reasons, one of which which was the scale - there are over 2,400 mini's on the table.  The following photo's show the initial setup.  I did tinker with it a little bit over the course of the con, but no material changes where made.  The objective of the game was for the British to get the King's carriage across the map and onto a waiting ship.  The French wanted to prevent that.  In the end, the French won 4 out of 5 games but it was a lot closer than that tally appears. The French Left flank consisted of Soult's single division on the shore and Lannes corps of two divisions (in the center of the picture plus a reserve force of a Guard infantry and heavy calvary divisions under Napoleon.  Soult's smaller division had a chance of maritime reinforcements over the course of the game.In the center was Davout and his III Corps of two divisions.Finally, on the French right

» View Source Article

A Distinguished Visitor and More General D'Armee

This weekend saw the St Michaels house graced by several distinguished visitors - Ed and his lovely wife Teresa from the gaming club and Peter D from Regina,  the Single Handed Admiral blog, and a "famed" participant in the Challenge. It was a grand weekend,  I didn't have any pictures of Ed and T as Ed's media people wanted way too much money for any image work.  Ed's now a you tube sensation as you can see in the following video.  Wait till the very end.The first picture is of Peter arriving.  Oops that's just a local terrapin turtle.  Wonder how I got this mixed up?Ok - here's a picture of Peter setting up for a quick game of GdA in our basement.  Peter was a wonderful guest and tolerated a lot of driving around.We replayed the game from the last week at the club - Peter was the French and I was the British.  Each player had four brigades (3 Inf and 1 Cav). The French had their three inf brigades on the board while the British only had 2 and were defending the monast

» View Source Article

General D-Armee at the Club

 Last night, Tom, Ed and I ran another test game of General D'Armee at the club.  Tom and Ed's French attacked my Brit/Spanish army.  The scenario was simple.  The Spanish were holding a walled monastery and were supported by another British infantry division unit to the right.  They were attacked by three French infantry divisions.  Both sides had off table reinforcements - I had both a Infantry and calvary division, while the French had a calvary divisions.The game went A LOT smoother than our first test game and I think we got a majority of the rules right.  The Battle flowed really well and my dice were red hot.The game was a lot more lively with a fairly open table (terrain wise).  That's a very important lesson for the Historicon game. Things we improved on were:- getting the mechanics of charges and subsequent melees correct- skirmishers - they add both a lot of flavor and are fun- command dice, the command system is a lot of fun and one of the best things about

» View Source Article

Another Test Game of General D'Armee

 I've set up the same forces used Monday night at the club for another test game.  I am really enjoying learning these rules and the deeper I go, the more I like them. With the exception of the roads all of the terrain was made by yours truly.  The roads are rubber and were purchased from Battlefield Terrain Concepts.  I highly recommend them.The buildings and walls were all 3D prints and really painted up very well.I've got some more skirmisher stands being made up so hopefully can add them to the game in a few days.

» View Source Article

General D'Armee at the Club

Last night Tom and I ran our first game of General D'Armee at the club.  Thanks very much to Ed and Simon for being willing test subjects and for being such good sports as I constantly looked up rules.The game was a fictional meeting engagement.  pitting a British / Spanish force against the French.  The sides were even with 3 brigades of infantry (each 4 battalions) and one brigade of Calvary (3 units).  2 of each armies infantry brigades had an attached artillery battery.  The only thing lacking is that I only had enough skirmish stands completed to allow skirmishers for only 1 brigade per side.  It did show that skirmishers are really important in these rules.For simplicity sake, all units were rated "line".  I am sure that I got a lot of nuances wrong - like fighting in built up areas (BUA's).  One thing that is clear to me is that I need to make village plots that outline the shape of the BAU and govern if a unit is in or out.  Using just buildings was very co

» View Source Article

General D'Armee: First Test Game

There is a good bit of interest in at the club in the General D'Armee ruleset, which was written by David Brown.  I've read the rule book and really like a lot of the concepts and so have set up a small solitaire test game to learn the mechanics.  It a division sized engagement pitting relatively equal French and Austrian forces against one another.The Austrian force consists of 2, 4 battalion infantry brigades and a 3 squadron bridge of Heavy Calvary (that's the only calvary for the Austrians that are painted up).  I'm putting the Austrians on the offensive early on.Against them are a similar sized pair of French infantry battalions.  The calvary brigade has 2 heavy on one light calvary.  Both sides have a pair of artillery batteries.The Austrians are have initiated a charge and so have moved to the required 3 inch distance and we'll leave it there as I need to re-read the charge mechanics.I'm going to hold off any detailed comments about mechanics until I've played a few rounds at h

» View Source Article