I have a new shipping container design that I am really pleased with. It is a reinforced container for shipping hazardous type materials. The first version did not have the three braces around the middle, but it was a bit tricky to build. This one is much easier to construct and may well be available soon at Product For Wargamers.
Before a planned “big 40K game” I set up all of the industrial terrain I have been building to see if anything was missing. After more than 18 months of designing, building and painting, the whole lot covered a 6×4 table and I have to say it looked pretty damn good! The dice tower is not really suitable for a large 40K game, it is better suited to Rogue Stars or Kill Team. Chucking 40 Storm Bolter dice down it just would not work. But it still works as a bit of terrain regardless of the rules system. There are loads of walkways connecting all of the towers, I have found that the extra wide walkways work best one level down from the top of a tower, makes it easier to get a hand in there to move the models around. Down at ground level, there are loads of new bits that connect the ground plates together. I have been making several different designs, trying to find one that is my favourite, so far there are a few designs that I like. This vent design below is made from a couple of plastic bot
As some the industrial bits allow for slighly higher ground levels, I have some new simple ramps. To allow round Processing Towers to link diagonally, I have also made some short walkways.
My final new tower design (at the moment) has a vehicle hanger with a landing ledge on one of the upper levels. This is only suitable for small flying vehicles, perhaps a Bladerunner style Spinner. The tower shown here is higher than the standard three level tower so the landing ledge sits higher than the surrounding towers. Of course when next to a double height processing tower (two Pringles tubes!) then it really is not that tall…
This new tower design has more options to open up the interior with some double height level supports. This makes it easier to get hands into the tower to get at models and move them around. The look of the tower with the opened up sides makes for a nice variation on the tower theme.
I have a new version of a landing platform that sits between two Industrial Processing (Pringle) Towers. This has more detail than the original version and looks much better.
I have seen old computer fans used before in wargames terrain, so the last time I scrapped a PC, I ripped out the fan (and several other bits). I built an MDF housing for the fan to fit in with the rest of the industriral terrain I have been working on. I can hook up a battery to the fan and it works. Brilliant!
The mountains of MDF here are gradually getting smaller as the process of inking, painting and building proceeds at pace. It is much easier to ink and paint the components on the sprue if at all possible. These stairs are for an square Industrial Control Tower, consisting of quite a few levels. Lots more to do.
Over the last few weeks, I have been very busy making mdf industrial terrain to fill a 6 x 4 table. For one of the sections, I decided to add some LEDs, and make a landing platform. It seems to be a bit brighter than I thought it would be. But when a nice big flyer is plonked on it, the effect if cool with the lights illuminating the underside of the vehicle. I may well be adding some more lights…
I hate to admit it, but several years ago I bought a brilliant trench system from Kalistra…and then did nothing with it. This is a modular system that will easily stretch the width of a four foot table. I want to add some more balsa planking to the duckboards and make it a bit more messy. So having finally bought a compressor for my airbrush, I feel that I can have a go at painting it up so we can try some plan some storm the trenches games for Bolt Action, Konflikt 47, Dust and Steam Wars.
Not alive perhaps, but resprayed. I would not like to know how old these hills are, they have been in my collection for a good few decades. These had originally been a very boring plain goblin green, but that worked as an undercoat for my next spraying session. I just used a few different greens and had a go at blending some colours, not bad for a first attempt. I got stuck a few times with the airbrush stopping, not due to clogging, but a mixture screw getting moved accidently, I am still getting the hang of this airbrushing lark…
This is the Transformers model that I bought for next to nothing on eBay. I have removed all the internal crap and glued plastic over all the openings I could see from the inside, of which there were lots. It actually did not take long and in the greater scheme of things, this was one of the quickest conversions I have done, it only took three episodes of Game Of Thrones (I’m watching series 2 again). Now for undercoating with my new compressor, in white this time…
There are several ways to build the industrial terrain models that I have been working on as there are lots of common pieces between the various individual models. This means that I can mix up a few bits and make what is essentially a new kit. In this case, by using the support structure from the Crosswalk Tower and some round levels, I have ended up with what is effectively a pringle-less tower. Without relying on the tube, the tower can be any height, so I started with a single level and twin level model.
Jim suggested I do an MDF dice tower, not something that I use in games, but I thought I would give it a go. Obviously I designed it to match my industrial towers and it works!
All the furniture together, including the tables, makes for a larger collection than I anticipated. I need to paint or ink them and then the rooms in the buildings will not be so empty. I have another idea to make some removable walls for the some of the buildings, I must see what I can come up with.